[gpodder-devel] icons and instructions

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 10:45:07 +0200

Hello!

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 17:51 -0500, Mark Alford wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Thomas Perl wrote:
> > Quick mash-up of a Gnome weather icon and the "down" arrow. What do
> you
> > think? I know I'm not a good artist, but just to get a feeling of
> what
> > it would look like...
>
> That's pretty good.  But the arrow feels a bit like an icicle. I have
> the feeling that the download arrow should be somehow fainter or have
> dashed edges or something, to give the sense that this object *could*
> be downloaded.
> Perhaps in that case one wouldn't need the cloud, which could distract
> people (to me it seems natural, but one person is not a statistical
> sample). Perhaps the top of the arrow should just fade out at the top
> end.     Sorry I don't have a single clear idea....

Maybe you should ask on the Tango (tango.freedesktop.org) mailing list
if someone can help with this icon?

> > Yes, if someone wants to contribute documentation, that would be
> very
> > helpful and badly needed. If the documentation outgrows the Wiki, we
> can
> > export it and make a more organized approach to providing good
> > documentation for the end user. Simply start adding to the Wiki, if
> you
> > want :)
>
> Yes, as soon as I become competent!

Well, why not start now? Writing documentation is a good way to get more
competent :) As you have seen yourself, there are a few questions that a
newcomer has (the trash can, ...) that isn't obvious right away. Apart
from explaining these things to the end user, maybe you even find out
ways to avoid irritating icons and provide us with suggestions on how to
make the first-time experience better for end users :)