[gpodder-devel] what gets synchronized?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 09:51:25 +0200

Hello!

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 21:00 -0500, Mark Alford wrote:
> (a) I am delighted. Thomas, I would buy you a book but grappling with
> Amazon auf Deutsch is too much for me. Can I just send money using
> paypal?

That's nice of you :) Didn't think about English-speaking users having
problems with Amazon.de, as I thought they could probably switch to
Amazon.com or another English-speaking Amazon site. Just tried it and it
seems like they're really all separate. Anyway, I've found this page
that might be helpful (Amazon.de for English-speaking users):

http://www.amazon.de/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=505532

If you don't want to go through the hassle, you can PayPal to
thp at perli.net. Thanks for your support!

> (b) Not all podcasts got synced. Episodes with a yellow star seem to
> have been ignored. Any idea why?

If you mean this icon with the "yellow star", it means that this episode
is "new in the feed", i.e. you have to download it first, so it gets a
icon that looks like a file (music, audio, document - depending on which
file you downloaded):

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8016/iconstocknewli3.png

>From a usability point of view, do you think that the "yellow star" icon
is misleading and looks like the episode is already downloaded? Maybe we
should use a icon that has a yellow star (or something that means "new")
on it, but no "file" icon, so people can understand better that the
"file" is not on their computer, but that the item is "new"?

> (c) syncing in the GUI did not work: the whole gpodder interface just
> froze up. But the command line gpodder --sync worked well.

Which iPod are you using? Can you please post the console output when
running gpodder with the "--verbose" switch, i.e. open a terminal and
enter:

gpodder --verbose 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/gpodder-log.txt

Try to reproduce the bug and then post the "gpodder-log.txt" file that
should appear on your Desktop. Before posting, make you you check the
logfile for any sensitive information (if any) and remove/anonymize it
from the logfile, if you think it's irrelevant for the bug.