[gpodder-devel] icons and instructions

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 22:02:57 +0200

Hello!

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:28 -0500, Mark Alford wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Thomas Perl wrote:
> > If you don't want to go through the hassle, you can PayPal to
> > thp at perli.net. Thanks for your support!
>
> You should include this option on the gpodder website, since
> it skips the hassle of having to set up an amazon.de account.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that with the next update.

> > From a usability point of view, do you think that the "yellow star"
> icon
> > is misleading and looks like the episode is already downloaded?
> Maybe we
> > should use a icon that has a yellow star (or something that means
> "new")
> > on it, but no "file" icon, so people can understand better that the
> > "file" is not on their computer, but that the item is "new"?
>
> Yes, it's obvious now you tell me, but I didn't understand that
> icon at all. "New" is not quite right because it still implies that
> the thing is (newly) present. You want something that implies
> "available".
> Perhaps a cloud with a download arrow coming out of it, implying that
> this episode is still "up there somewhere".

Quick mash-up of a Gnome weather icon and the "down" arrow. What do you
think? I know I'm not a good artist, but just to get a feeling of what
it would look like...

http://khan.thpinfo.com/~thp/images/gpodder-wolke.png

> On the whole I prefer words to icons. That way of labelling things
> raises language issues, but it is much easier to look up the meaning
> of a word on the internet than to look up the meaning of an icon.

After one has got to know what the icons mean, I think the icons in the
treeview are more space-efficient. And combined with the lock icon and
the played status icon, it really is easier to look at the icon and tell
what's going instead of having three columns (Status, Played?, Locked?).

What about a text-based tooltip that is shown when the mouse moves over
the status icon? (i.e. "Not downloaded", "Downloaded, not yet played",
"Deleted", etc..)

> I looked on the gpodder home page for instructions on how to use
> gpodder (what the icons mean, how to do common tasks) but I couldn't
> find any. I guess people are supposed to add that to the wiki..?

Yes, if someone wants to contribute documentation, that would be very
helpful and badly needed. If the documentation outgrows the Wiki, we can
export it and make a more organized approach to providing good
documentation for the end user. Simply start adding to the Wiki, if you
want :)

> >> (c) syncing in the GUI did not work: the whole gpodder interface
> just
> >> froze up. But the command line gpodder --sync worked well.
> > Which iPod are you using? Can you please post the console output
> when
> > running gpodder with the "--verbose" switch, i.e. open a terminal
> and
>
> OK, well now by magic it is working! Perhaps before it wasn't frozen,
> just quietly working away, and I was too impatient.

Yes, the GUI freezes when libgpod does its final iTunesDB writing and
saving. I don't think we can do anything about this one, but it
shouldn't take longer than a few seconds.