[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.3: Unconnected inputs/outputs

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paul Davis wrote:
> >Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about loading individual instances
> >of the plugin for each channel.  I guess I don't really know much about
> >this seed/sub-instance approach that you are talking about that LADSPA
> >uses.
>
> LADSPA doesn't use it. as you guessed, its an internal plugin
> thing. if your plugin generates random numbers, it presumably uses a
> seed value and an algorithm. if each plugin instance uses the same
> seed, and the same algorithm, then they will generate the same set of
> random numbers. no special magic required other than the seed.

Oh yeah, *that* kind of seed.  :)  Well, my plugins don't use fixed seeds
because I don't like the randomizations to be the same each time.  They
seed from the system time, in C library speak, that being
srand(time(NULL));

But you couldn't actually depend on a fixed seed approach either since, if
we really were doing this to accommodate changes in the i/o configuration,
then some channel instances might be created later than others (and hence
after the randomization algorithm in one instance has already run through
some values).

Marc

http://calendar.yahoo.com