[gmpi] Re: Topic 7.3: Unconnected inputs/outputs

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:08:25 +0100

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 06:49:53 -0700, Marc Poirier wrote:
> --- Steve Harris wrote:
> > Hmm... the randomise example is not a problem, because the plugins have
> > to share a common seed anyway, otherwise the state will be different if
> > you do save, load, save, which is bad.
>
> Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about loading individual instances of
> the plugin for each channel.  I guess I don't really know much about this

No, that is what I meant.

> seed/sub-instance approach that you are talking about that LADSPA uses.
> It sounds to me then like it might be more of an internal design decision
> that the plugin author makes, or is this a part of the LADSPA interface?
> Sorry, I'm just not familiar with what you are talking about.

Its not explicitly supported by the API, its just a parameter that can be
stored along with the others.

> I've heard that there are some VST hosts that will instanciate multiple
> instances of a plugin to get more channels of processing and try to link
> them in a way that's transparent to the user.  I know that that would not
> work properly with a lot of our stuff, but I haven't ever actually tried
> such a host.

My experience is thats its not that much of a problem, the only problems
arrise when you have things like compressors and the user picks a mono
compressor and two get instantiated on a stereo stream, instead of picking
a stereo one. That could be solved with better hinting.

OTOH I agree with you that dynamic port creation is powerful. I haven't
though about how much I want it though.