[gmpi] Re: Reqs section 3.6

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:22:30 -0800

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:47:44AM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> req 17 : at least one part of the plug-in must run in the Host adresse space
> (something like the primary interface... we have to give a name to that,
> maybe the CORE should be ok).

It should be safe to say the the GMPI plugin runs in the host's native
address space.  There may be another part, but the GMPI part is native.
Always.

> req 18 : MUST present a native interface (do you mean a native processing
> function !?) this is not clear.

TO be called a GMPI plugin you must taste like a GMPI plugin.  There is one
flavor of GMPI.  What your GMPI plugin does internally is totally hidden.
You can run code on a DSP card, send stuff across the network, read data
from an ADC, or anything else.  GMPI doesn't handle that.

> req 19 : yes... maybe not enough precise, but ok for the moment.

what is missing?

> req 20 : yes, but we have to be more precise . Is there some service
> mandatory provided by the Host ? can the host may provide extra service :
> who ask for that !? the plug-in may ask for extra service for example... and
> the host could reply yes or no. Well, what is mandatory and what is
> optionnal here !?

Yes, this goes along with section 3.14.  Maybe there should be a
cross-refernce, or 3.14 should be merged into this one.  Yes, I think it
should be merged in.

We may want to require some minimal host services, but the rest is left to
spec, I think.

> req 21 : i'm not very agree with that. I consider that the Host has to be
> seen as an over-system, so he has to provide such access...(for example in
> order to be able to share this kind of resource... )

This req is probably redundant with #18.  Beneath the skin of GMPI, a plugin
can do ANYTHING IT WANTS, as long as it doesn't break the rules of GMPI.  It
might not work in all hosts or in all circumstances, but it should be
possible to work.  For example, a host MAY decide to implement audio-inputs
and outputs as plugins.