[gmpi] Re: Reqs Discuss: 12-15

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:48:49 -0800

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:47:07AM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> well :-) let's kidding a bit :

I'll play along, though these are getting silly.

> - this is a typical feature that can produce doubt for the users : "i don't
> remember the last mixdown, i was in quality 9 or 10 !? 9.5 or what !?".

renders are always full quality

> - this is a point to justify maybe a poor quality plug-in "well , you
> know... the quality 10 has not been fully implemented, please wait a bit for
> the next version which will be very cheap for you - free for client who
> complain, not free for the other - :-))",

You can justify poor quality today, it's no different.  Some plugins provide
custom quality controls, and I have no automatic way to ensure that the
quality is 100% when I render except to set them all manually.  If I knew
that realtime was always xx% quality but mixdowns were 100%, I would be
happy.

> - or finally a very exciting point for developpment strategy  : "ho my god
> you are not using the good host for our plug-in series, you can reach the
> best quality only with our digicorp host audio software by setting the knob
> on the magic number : 11.132645, thanks for using our product... "

Again, already.  "Oh, you need to use FooHost to get the best use of that
plugin".  Nothing stops a host and a plugin from having a handshake that is
a secret way to enable a feature. This is no different.