[gmpi] Re: Reqs Discuss: 12-15

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:51:36 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 11:00 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Reqs Discuss: 12-15

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:25:59PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > > Agreed, but not impossible.  The simplest solution could be a single
event
> > > to the plugin saying "you ate too much CPU last time - can you
throttle
> > > down?".  If the plugin persists in misbehaving, the host can whack it.
>
> > I know some people will strongly dissagree with this.  In that, if a
plugin
> > has two modes (Low-Quality/ High Quality), you don't want it switching
> > automatically 'behind your back'.
> >   If your CPU is struggling to run that convolution reverb, the user
should
> > make the decision "I'll do that off-line".
> >   I don't want to master my stunning music ;) ... send it off to the CD
> > Manufacturer, only to later discover my reverb was switched to lo-fi
mode
> > without me realising it.
>
> I agree with that.  The requirement was added because someone wanted to
see
> it there and no one objected at the time.  I personally think its fluff.

thanks you ! :-), it was me who wanted such a feature, cause on a real time
audioworkstation, i consider that the host must keep the integrity of the
audio stream, and if the last inserted plug-in causes a DSP overload, then
it has to be disconnected from the chain. The fact is that feature finally
concernes more the Host than the plug-in ... so we can forget this
requirement.

> I want the host to send a 'quality level' indication to plugins that care
> (1-10, 1-100, something like that).
>
> For example, my PC this year might be capable of running everything at 50%
> quality in realtime, my next PC might be able to run everything at 75%
> quality in realtime.  The host can set the quality to 100% for rendering.
>
> This gives hosts (that care to implement the feature) a virtual knob that
> can control all the plugins that can scale back quality.  Samplers might
> reduce their interpolation algorithm, synths my scale back antialiasing,
> etc.  Totally optional for hosts and plugins, but standardized.
>
> Objections?

yes , of course ! :-) i just think it's useless. When you work in real time
, it is to hear the true result, not a decayed one.

VB