[gmpi] Re: MacOS vtable reserved field

  • From: "Jack O'Quin" <joq@xxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:03:51 -0600

Matthew Xavier Mora <mxmora@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 9:43 PM +1300 2/22/05, Jeff McClintock wrote:
>>  > Can any of you Mac users point me to a document about the "required"
>>>  reserved field in a Mac COM vtable?  Is it for real?
>>
>> "Every vbtable entry is four bytes long. The first entry is always
>> zero, representing the offset of the derived class in itself"
>>
>>http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/compilers/docs/abi_spec.pdf
>
> That was pre Mac OS X. There is new ABI for Mac OS X. (Yes, take a
> perfectly good ABI and toss it for one designed to run on intel
> hardware.
> Sorry, the new ABI is a sore spot for us old mac hackers. :-))
>

> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/MachORuntime/MachORuntime.pdf>

This was my point earlier.  We can shoot for supporting some C++ ABI
on some system at some time.  But, we can't support them all, forever.

Making it work on current Windows is probably the best we can
accomplish.  Since MS does a better job of maintaining ABI stability
than most other vendors, that is at least useful.  But, it means that
plugins taking advantage of this vtable magic will probably only work
reliably on that platform.
--
  joq