[gmpi] Re: MacOS vtable reserved field

  • From: jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:28:51 +1300

> But, it means that plugins taking advantage of
> this vtable magic will probably only work reliably on that
platform.

Hi Jack,
What I've done is define the interface in ANSI C. It works
on any compiler on any platform.

BUT...As a test, I compiled a plugin using a
compiler-generated vtable.

Both are compatible.  Both load into the test-host (which
uses ANSI-C).  Both plugins use the *same* source code.
  You choose what type of vtable you require with a #define
COM_COMPATIBLE_COMPILER

There is no change to your source code.  Your plugin remains
cross-platform no matter which option you choose.
  Switching back to ANSI is a simple matter of not defining
COM_COMPATIBLE_COMPILER. That's all.

Compilers able to take advantage of compiler-generated
vtables include Microsoft, Borland, Watcom, GNU CPP 3.x, and
more.

Best Regards,
Jeff