[gmpi] Re: MacOS vtable reserved field

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:03:55 -0800

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:00:54PM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > Anyhow, The GMPI prototype uses ANSI C.  It in no way relys on any
> > compiler.
>
> True.  But, any plugin implemented in C++ that depends on your vtable
> magic will probably develop portability issues on some platforms at
> some time (now or in the future).  Those who are only developing for
> Windows, will probably not care much about that.

If we continue to use the C version with C++ stub wrappers, then we
should be safe.  We can explore the direct-to-C++ option as time goes on
and as platforms for testing become available.

I am not worried about the stub overhead, and it's neatly encapsulated
so no plug developer can shoot themselves without trying.