[gmpi] Re: MacOS vtable reserved field

  • From: "Jack O'Quin" <joq@xxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:00:54 -0600

jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>> future. making any kind of claim about C++ compiler vtable
> layout is madness.
>
> Perhaps, but I got the impression GNU CPP 3.x had
> deliberatly changed the vtable to comply with the IA64 ABI
> standard.

I think they did.  But, IIRC they made more than one incompatible
change in the 3.x series of releases.  Those of us who have been
through all that can be excused for our skepticism that their latest
version is truly the "last change".

> Anyhow, The GMPI prototype uses ANSI C.  It in no way relys on any
> compiler.

True.  But, any plugin implemented in C++ that depends on your vtable
magic will probably develop portability issues on some platforms at
some time (now or in the future).  Those who are only developing for
Windows, will probably not care much about that.
--
  joq