[gmpi] Re: 3.18 Copy Protection

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:53:03 -0400

>> So do we have reqs for this topic?  Anyone?  I see issues, but no clear
>> requirements.
>>
>> Maybe just "GMPI should allow for copy-protected plugins" ?
>
>Silence is consent...

i think that given the chasm between the libre world and the
proprietary world, that wording might be as good as we will
get. nobody in the libre camp seriously imagines that "GMPI will not
allow copy-protected plugins" will fly. nobody in the proprietary camp
seriously imagines that "GMPI will require copy protected plugins"
will fly. none of the vaguely discussed and/or existing CP systems
really interact with any of the mechanisms we've discussed so far with
the possible exception of metadata.

so perhaps the best we can do is "GMPI should allow for copy-protected
plugins, but should show preference for copy protection schemes that
will allow metadata to be accessed without requiring access rights".

--p