[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:07:00 -0600

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 08:43:44PM +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:

What we're both saying is that morphing etc must happen in the host's 'GUI
process'.

Just something that struck me as I thought about Actors...

What if you have the actor as a normal plugin.  The Actor exposes the same
parameters as the DSP, but also has control-outs for the DSP.

Clipped params: the actor plugin can do the clip and send the right outputs
        to the DSP.
Linked params: the actor plugin changes 2 params in response to 1 input
Morphed params: the actor plugin does the morphingf of the DSP plugin
Randomized: the actor plugin can handle continuous or one-off randomizations
        of the DSP params

I think that this model would not allow for deterministic randomization. Because the host would always be calling plugin A in process, plugin A would not have the necessary information to determine whether it should randomize because this was new data or not randomize because this was being read from storage.

Thoughts? It's close to the Actor model, but doesn't barf on coninuous (infinitely long) randomizations and such. The host can actually hide a lot of the complexity..

Also, for those of us without the Design Patterns book - can you talk about
Memento more?

The basic idea of a Memento is that an object exposes CreateMemento and SetMemento calls, which an external object can use to serialize the complete state of the object without breaking encapsulation. The serialized data is wrapped in an object called a Memento. Then the object can be restored using the SetMemento method. So undo can be achieved without the host knowing anything about the data, which is opaque.
It would work, but it requires the params to be opaque if there are any of these special cases that we are discussing. When I suggested that earlier, people were not happy.
--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems