[geocentrism] Re: Sad Data Loss

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:29:34 +1000

I've never yet lost data over many years..  First move,  always,  with a new PC
is to have your hard drive partitioned into C and D drive, and even E if it is
big enough..

Never keep any files stored on the C drive (thats just for the operating
system, and a temporary hold for files, like my everyday banking etc which are
all moved "drag" via the shortcut to its home file on D. ) So C drive it is the
smaller partition ..5Gig plenty. , but I keep shortcuts on the desk for
regularly visited stuff.

Sort out essential files and keep them always in a folder or folders marked
"back up", for easy burning onto cheap DVD discs. (In case the whole drive
kaputs. )  But ususally we only lose the C drive through an OS crash.

Installed programs that keep files of updates etc are better put on D rather
than C programs.. I always back up on D the outlook express address book, and
my IE favorites.

I would never save my stuff on a third party on line service. Most modern PC
have sockets for plug in external storages that hold even more than DVD's , but
they are not so cheap.

I like to keep a lot of things temporarily on my desk. Like a specila email or
slideshow or video.  It tends to get cluttered. Open up a new folder and call
it Spare desk. .. and another called "work desk" dragndrop.. or move to if its
important enough to be on the D drive.

I spose youse all know these things, but It might help some..

Phil