[GeoStL] Re: forums

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:10:45 -0700 (PDT)

-
My apologies also to any who might have taken offense. Sorry Sara did not mean
to knock your efforts and I do appreciate all those who volunteer their time
and talents to the SLAGA group. I understand what kind of effort it takes and
committment to be there when you are needed.

My problem is time as most of you have noticed I have not been caching much
lately and I get on the puter mostly to check and read my email. At the same
time I have volunteered or been volunteered to scan 28 YEARS worth of Phelps
County Historical Society newsletters.....write a database in Access that will
keep track of the inventory of the Museum....scan any old pictures they might
come accross from the PCHS AND work a full time sometimes 10 hour a day job as
well as be available for any scheduled or unscheduled tours that might come up.
This is of course in addition to trying to remodel my house and raise 2 teenage
sons. So I am sorry to say Paul that "just one more click" might just be too
much. I read the email every night but have little time to go elsewhere. Once
ina while I find the time to go into chat and visit with you all when I have a
break in between stuff. I try not to whine or complain much and I do appreciate
everything that all of you do (what with your busy
 schedules as well).

Jen also please temp diable the bookcrossing cache here in town as some idiot
plundered the cache yesterday....they left all the books, items and log book
and took the ammo box :( ....and the bad thing is it had to be one of the
workmen that has been hired to renovate the old courtroom ....as soon as I
think it is safe I will replace the ammo box and let you know it is active
again.

Sorry to whine but time is precious to me right now and I try to enjoy every
minute I can

Dan (Thunder)
-
From: "Bridget Griffin"

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 05:01:31 -0500
-
> You know, I think it is a great idea for the forums, but I'm not exactly
> computer literate (I may be the only one....who knows....maybe people are
> just
> embarrassed to say) but I can't figure out how to use it. It's not exactly
> user friendly. I set up an account somehow managed to see some posts but
> couldn't figure out how to post to it. So, I guess I won't be using them. The
> only way I can figure to get there too is by someone posting a link, which I
> do
> not know how to post a link myself. So, you guys knock yourselves out, but I
> don't like it.
> Bridget
Never cared for them, either. I was asked to put forums up at geostl.com last
year. They were used for about 2 weeks, then trickled to nothing. Which is
why I removed them (and I got heck from some people for it, but they didn't
have to maintain it or have to monitor our web hosts space usage).

The only reason we put up forums on Glenn's MOGEO site was that it was suggested
as a means of better organizing group hunts than on the newsgroup. I was
acting as a facilitator. But I won't hide the fact that as a born organizer, I
saw
the chaos and "who's on first?" interaction in trying to organize group hunts
in the newsgroup as an opportunity for a better process. Little did I know that
people would moan and groan about having to click their mouse more than
necessary or say they weren't technically savvy (even though they know how to
read their email and operate high-tech gadgets like a GPSR ...).

I don't think you treated Sara very well, though. No wonder noone volunteers to
help with SLAGA stuff. Anyone who does gets slammed. She stepped up to
try to make organizing group hunts better and all I saw in response was whining.
Admit it - it's true. You need proof? It's ALL IN THE NEWSGROUP ARCHIVES
for the world to see.

(konopapw), who has stepped over the line to take abuse
for saying what needs to be said.

Subject field

Subject field