[STL Geocaching] Re: Wildcat talk

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 22:00:34 -0600

My advice is:
Don't walk 4 miles on hilly terrain the night before
just to place a cache ('Dorito Black').  And get more
than 4 hours of sleep beforehand.  (In Barramus'
words:  "What were you thinking?!")

Didn't need the duct tape, bug spray, or first aid kit.
Noone got wet in the creek (except a shoe or two!)

My backpack had more in it than usual (extra cache
container, snack treats, RGS' digital camera, duct
tape, bug spray).

I almost never used a walking stick when caching,
but after navigating all those rocks, I'm a big fan, now.

We took layers of clothes on and off as necessary.
Going up hills usually caused clothes to come off.
At the top of Wildcat it was cold and we weren't
moving, so we put clothes back on.

There was comfort in knowing that Island-Dave
and Myotis had a good grasp of the terrain by
understanding the topo maps.  They kept us
from getting seriously lost.

The group shouldn't get so spread out that they
lose sight of each other.  Agree that if you lose
sight for a short length of time - regroup.  Both
Barramus and I had whistles and I almost used
mine a couple of times!

I want to throw my Garmin GPS III away and
get an Etrex like Myotis has.  It practically pulls
you in the direction of the cache!

We had a goal: to finish the three caches somewhere
between denali's timeframe and Glenn's timeframe!