[GeoStL] Re: Sensorship in SLAGA

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:40:22 -0600

-

First off, I think that the leadership of SLAGA has a tough job to do, and I
would like to echo the appreciation that many folks have offered already.

These are my opinions. You may or may not agree with them. Take them for
whatyou think they are worth.

Next, I don't like SLAGA or geocaching because it is about technology. I
likeit because of the people. I visit the forum because it is a community,
not because I want answers to technical questions. Sure there are
interestingfacts I find here, and answers to questions, but those things
comefrom people. People with ideas, feelings, personalities, ideals and all
the other things that come with being human.

Because of that, I really don't see a problem with topics being discussed
that don't have to do with a cache, event, or GPSr. But if that is the not
the way that the forum owner wants to handle it, then I back him 100
percent.It isn't my forum, and if I want to play in someone else's sandbox,
then I accept the home rules for that sandbox, or I find another one to play
in.

The point where I would draw the line is if the content becomes personally
abusive. Many things don't start out that way, but if you start getting
personal in a negative way, then things escalate, and then things starting
getting to the point where censorship or blackballing is the wise choice.
Thecold bucket of water in the face so to speak.

Part of the problem is that some folks just plain don't want to see a
particular topic discussed. They are upset because someone uses a religious
phrase, and are open about "not wanting to see anything religious or
political". Well, those folks don't want to hear about a world without
religious or political expression. So who wins? The problem is turning it
into a contest to begin with which leads to escalation. Depending on who you
are, either view could be considered inflammatory.

I really hate the word "tolerance" because its definition has been twisted
somuch. It has never meant that you should agree with the other view, only
that you should tolerate the views of others and give the person respect
without lending credence to the idea they hold. That is what I think is
needed here. If we all did that, there would be no taboo subject and no need
for censorship.

So I think the criteria should be how the person plays the game, not what
game they play. Politics (local, state, federal or SLAGA)? Religion? So
what?You don't like the topic, skip the subject. All the messages have
subjects. Use them wisely.

I for one did not know that there was a flag that could be used the way Eric
described. I learned something from that post. Is it important to me? It is
in the sense that I know more about how things work. I saw the flame
portion,and saw a man that had a genuine issue that was brought out in an
unfortunate manner. I don't see a problem in discussing it as long as all
heads are cool. If not, then by gosh, I think Glenn needs to turn on that
fire hose and dampen things until cooler heads prevail.

As for leaving SLAGA, or not going to events because of what is seen in
theseposts, well, it is really hard to respond to that. Each and every one
ofthose people certainly has a right to feel that way, and to act according
to those feelings. But to me that is like throwing the baby out with the
bathwater. There is another deeper possibility that is more like somebody
saying "I'm gonna hold my breath until I turn blue unless you only talk
aboutthings I wanna talk about in the way I wanna to see them talked about".
It is almost like a threat, but I think that most of the concerns are
genuine. But I also think that if you turn your back on SLAGA or its events,
that you are missing a lot, and in a way, the folks you feel most negative
about, have won.

So I guess our little community is just like any other. We have our ups and
downs. We have our characters, our cops and criminals (so to speak). So why
don't we just act like good citizens in our community and not get upset with
our neighbors, but let the police handle the disturbances that are
inevitableand give them our support. But just like what happened in New
Orleans, when the authorities start violating the rights of the citizens, we
should have some way of bringing up the issues and discussing them
intelligently, but ultimately submitting to the the law of the land (or in
this case, the forum owner).