[GeoStL] Re: Saint charles county issues

  • From: Dave Keiser <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:26:39 -0500

-
If the St Charles County Parks doesn't know who to contact about the caches and they've asked the caches to be disabled, then it sounds like they've never granted permission for any caches and they simply contacted one cache owner. For what it's worth, I think it's cool that pntball went and talked with them. How many of you have actually contacted land managers or just talked with them? And, I *don't* think he was required to bring in any other SLAGA members.

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 06:20 AM, Chris Binder wrote:

We should establish some sort of  protocol that prevents one
single member to have a meeting with bigwigs over at parks.

No one in St. Charles is forced to join SLAGA or any other group. The geocaching website says 'get permission'. It doesn't say 'check to see if there is a group in your area and follow their protocol on talking with land managers'. From what has been stated it sounds like they contacted pntball. I think SLAGA is a fun neat group, but it's not a controlling 'government' or regulating body. Anyone in St. Charles could contact the park authorities outside of the SLAGA group. Even members can and do act outside of the SLAGA entity. So give pntball a break--it's not his fault.

I'm betting that pntball had no clue that they were going to give him a list of rules. When I went to talk with Rockbridge State Park about hiding a cache, I had no clue that they were working on rules (which are now the State Park rules). I was a newbie cacher at the time and they asked my opinion on some of their rules (they wanted a six month limit on caches--I told them it would be nice to at least be able to have the cache available for all four seasons, which I'm happy to see they gave it a year time limit instead!). They even 'tested' a few of the rules with my caches in Rockbridge State Park ('Gans Creek Hike' and 'The Lost Survey Marker').

And, by informing the group, pntball has now brought the information to SLAGA. It's time to deal with the information, not to kill the messenger.

I totally respect and give thanks to all you who do work with the land managers. Good job.