[GeoStL] Re: Poison Ivy & Caching to Pensacola

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:20:43 -0500

-
It may be poison ivy, but it could be a non poisonous non native species.

PI has aerial rootlets when it climbs trees.  If it does not have those
rootlets, it is not PI. In our area there is a non native vine that has
escaped into the wild that has a vine that looks real close to PI.  If there
are leaves on it, it is simple to tell apart.  PI has three leaflets.  The
other has a simple leaf (i.e., one part not three).

The other plant is an invasive species.  It generally will cover the area.
So if you can see an infestation of that plant, it is likely not PI.  But
sometimes PI will grow with it.

So unless there are leaves on it (leaves of three (really leaflets) leave it
be), I would suggest assuming it is PI.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"