[GeoStL] Re: Pocket Queries

  • From: Jim Everman <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:20:52 -0500

-
> There are several ways you can do this, depending on what programs you have.
> And you'll probably get better ways that what I'm saying.
>
> The PQ will not do the route the way you want, but it's in the works they
> say. So for now, you'll still have to pick points and use the radius method
> like you do now.
>
> But, GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) can do it for you. After you load
> the GPX file from your query into GSAK, select Search, then Filter.
>
> This will open a large window with lots of options for displaying just the
> caches you want. There is a button on the lower right labeled "Arc, Line,
> Polygon". click it and follow the directions. It allows you to put in 2
> points and specify a distance from that line to include (or exclude) all
> other WP's. You can also put in multiple WP's between the start and end if
> the highway isn't very straight. Then send the remaining caches to your GPS.
>
> Another option, since you have Mapsource, is to load all the caches into
> mapsource and you'll see them on the map. Then use the mouse to "marquee
> select" or multi select the caches out of range from the highway and hit the
> delete key. That will delete those WP's. Do this as much as needed along
> your route. Then put the remaining WP's into your GPS.
>
> Rich

 Humm.. I'll have to look into this. On our recent trip to NOLA, I
just did radii around a few select cities and (as you know) got a lot
of stuff I couldn't use. I considered deleting the 'way out ones, but
didn't realize GSAK could do that for me. I just made sure I had less
than 500 waypoints in each database and switched data bases as the
trip progressed (with attendant screw ups).

 The problem on my trips to Oregon and CA is the number of queries you
can run in a day.. or can you run, say, all within 700 miles of
Denver, etc.? What is the distance limit? (well, I'll find out some
day<g>).

 Uh.. ever try "2000 mile radius centered on Wichita, KS? :-)

 But as you suggest, it gives one something to do in a motel room
other than watch TV. That is, IF the motel you choose has (Wi-Fi) net
access. Again, on the NOLA trip, the best we had was an (Ethernet?)
availability and I don't intend to ever get a card for that. A NetZero
(dialup) account is becoming more appealing every day though.

 I think it is interesting how the nature of geocaching changes as you
accumulate more caches found.

 Thanks.

 Geo Jim

--