[GeoStL] Re: OT: Facebook Virus? How do they work?

  • From: MBG <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:26:58 -0400

I had this same thing happen to me sometime last year. It posted on the wall of every single one of my friends. It was a pain to go through each person and delete it.

If you use the same password for Facebook and your email address you have listed there, I'd change your email password, too. If you didn't click the link there's nothing to worry about.

Ben

On Jun 3, 2009, at 3:21 PM, tnands wrote:

Does anyone know or can anyone explain how FB viruses (virii?) work?

For example...
I have a few of you as FB friends. A couple of weeks ago someone from a geocaching account started to chat with me. It wasn't the person who owns that account. Now today, I had a message in the FB inbox from CW/Shirley that also wasn't from her. (I confirmed this with her). In the message was a link to something that I suspect was rather "Adult" on nature.

Who has the problem? Me? Her? or FB? What are the odds that one or both of us now have something ugly living in our computers? My scans aren't picking anything up.

I've googled FAcebook Virus etc but not sure what to trust.

Has anyone have experience with this that they could just point us in the right direction.

This could be in everyone's best interest. While I only have 5 cachers as friends, I can see that those 5 have a ton more.

Nancy