[GeoStL] Re: OT: Facebook Virus? How do they work?

  • From: Jon Mertz <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:45:59 -0500

From what I have seen and can deduce from there, they send a "link" that you
have to paste into your browser to get around the FB security, which looks
like a facebook page asking you to log in again (even though you're already
logged in) and when you give it your facebook credentials, they have them.
Not sure what it shows you after that, but it doesn't matter. They already
have your credentials, and can use a script to log into your account to send
out more spam messages and sucker more of your friends.

The one I saw today asked the user to install a "flash update" on a page
that looked like, but was not, YouTube. This I can only assume is a Spyware
app that would have installed itself on your computer and potentially stolen
credentials to anything you went to including Facebook, MySpace, your bank,
your E-mail account, etc.

If Shirley sent out the message, then her account has been hacked and she
needs to change her password ASAP, as does anyone who followed the link. For
anybody else reading this, if your account has ever done things (like
sending messages) without your doing it, then change your password. If you
have ever followed one of these links, or even think you might have then
change your password.

Regards,
Jon