[GeoStL] Re: Colardo 400T!!!!! RE: Re: Which one do I get?

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:24:15 -0500

-
Mike,

The built in topo maps are not that good, particularly around here.  They
are based on 100K maps.  If a new version comes out, you should be able to
update it.  The maps are loaded in a 3-gig file in internal memory.

While the maps are not the greatest, (they are crappy compared to the maps I
make), they are better than nothing.  They also have detailed DEM (digital
elevation model)data for the entire country.  That allows you to have shaded
relief on custom topo maps like I make.  If you have City Navigator on, the
internal topo maps, and my maps (or someone elses maps) you see shaded
relief, streets and topo lines (but nothing from the internal maps as CN
covers it up).

Or you can use a custom trail map like mine over the internal maps and that
works good.

The 400T has about 1 gig free internal memory for maps, geocaches, etc, (you
can also load a jpg map and view it-but it is not georeferenced, but if
there is a trail map or something, you can view it).  The CO 300 only has
384 megs of free internal memory.

I have a 2 gig card which I have all of City Navigator and Shawnee National
Forest and Mark Twain National Forest from National Park Central 24K.  It
took many hours for this to load.

I load all my custom maps into internal memory.  It takes about 5 minutes to
load all of them.  So whenever I update my maps, I update them on the GPS in
about 5 minutes.  Many people are making free custom maps for other parts of
the country.  So when I go to CO, I will load the custom topo maps for CO
and my maps into internal memory.

So on the card, you can have one set of maps.  In internal memory, you can
have the built in topos, the basemap, and another set of maps.  On my 60CSX,
every time I updated my maps, I had to upload all my maps and all the other
Garmin maps I wanted.  That was a pain.

One problem is when you get the 400T, the map is on the GPS but not in
MapSource.  I would like it in MapSource, but I can live without it.  The
maps are not that good and I have an old version of TopUSA.  Also there are
lots of people making free custom maps that are much better.

Some people bought a 300 and the topomaps.  That was a mistake.  They
figured they would get a card and load the topos and City Navigator on the
card.  I do not think they got it to work right and it took about a day or
two for the computer to compile the maps.  The 400T also has 1 gig free
internal memory and the 300 only has 384 megs internal memory.  So my
recommendation is the 400T.

Field notes are really neat.  You can log a cache as found, DNF, needs
repair or did not attempt.  The CO saves that information in a file along
with the cache.  You do NOT enter the log in the GPS.  That would take
forever anyway.

When you want to log your caches, you upload the file from the GPS to
gc.com.  If you go caching with someone with a CO, you can use their file
too.  I will email you a file so you can try it.  If anyone else would like
a sample file, email me off list.

On you gc.com homepage, there is a tab on the right called Field Notes.
Click on "Access My Field Notes"

Then click on "Upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado"

Then you select the file and upload it.  Then there is a link to go to the
field notes.  Then you have every cache you logged listed.  It has a link
for the cache page if you need to see it.  But you normally just select the
link to log the cache.  When you select the link to log the cache, it brings
you to the logging screen for the cache with the log type and date all
selected.  All you have to do is enter your log.  When you finish logging
that cache, you get a link to go back to the field notes where you then log
the next one.  This is so nice!!!!!!

There is also a link to delete the entry.  That is what you will need if you
try my sample file.  If you log it, it is deleted automatically.

The CO will show the caches by type.  If you click on the cache, you can
view the cache description, logs, and hint.  Just like using a laptop!  When
you are looking for the cache, it has some really neat screen and tools.  It
does not deal with multis or projections well yet.  You cannot change
coordinates, project a waypoint, or save the cache as a waypoint.  That
should be fixed in a firmware update.

This is a fantastic new toy that has some glitches that need worked out. It
is far superior to the 60CSX and I highly recommend it.

Feel free to ask more or if anyone want to see it in the field, let me know.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!