[GeoStL] Re: Another NGR Question...

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:31:52 -0500

Depending on how serious you are when it comes to a backpack will determine how
much you spend. If you get a cheap backpack, you will not be happy because it
is not designed to fit your body and makes it difficult to wear for any length
of time. You can find Camp Trails brand at Uncle Sams and Dunns. This is a good
low end pack. If you are just looking for a day pack, then Walmart is your
place.

I would suggest going to REI and getting measured for a pack. This will
determine your size and what features you might be looking for.

I bought a Shasta (made by Gregory) on e-Bay and paid around 200.00 for it. It
is a nice large pack, fits me and is very confortable.

I would also suggest going to http://www.gearfinder.com/ss.asp?FAM=Packs to
help you decide what you need in a pack and what the best pack is for the $$$
you are going to spend.

As far as the earlier questions.

Camping on the trail is just a primative camp along the way. I never have fires
on the trail. I use a backpacker stove (Whisperlite International) for all my
cooking needs. I always follow LNT principles (Leave No Trace). I don't pitch a
tent unless the weather is going to get bad. Then, you don't want to be on the
trail. You can find more on planning and packing helpful hints at
www.backpacker.com. This site is a wealth of information to the beginner as
well as the professional.

I plan on doing a few trips this fall and winter. I am thinking about the Ozark
Highlands Trail for a December trip. Let me know when you are planning on doing
the Taum Sauk portion of OT. I might be able to join you.

Mike