[GeoStL] Re: Another NGR Question...

  • From: Joe Taylor <rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:07:50 -0700 (PDT)

This labor day weekend is going to be a trial run for me.  I want to hike from
Johnson Shut-ins, to a spot out of the restricted area, pitch camp there, go
get Proffit mountain Cache, return, back, or laze around.  The Next day hike to
the shut ins, and spend there all day, go back to camp, and stay one more
night, then head back out.

I have already studied the topo map with the OT on it so have a general idea of
what to expect, but will get more detail when I get there.

Looking at the Topo Map, I may plan on a spot around N37* 33.600 W090* 48.600.
It is just under 2 'as the crow flies' miles, and if they come up to me and
ask.... Hide myGPS and say Well it felt like 2 miles.

So I will not be carrying the gear too far.  Then when I upgrade to a bigger
pack, where I can carry the tent, and another person goes it will be lighter on
them since it is a less comfortable pack.

Again this will be a trial run..... I was hoping tomake this Cache find 100,
but with me working so much, it will fall short of that.

I have hiked from Taum Sauk to the Devils Tollgate, as well as hiked out to
WIldcat mounatain,.  So I am a a little familliar with the area.

Mike Griffin <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Depending on how serious you are when it comes to a backpack will determine how
much you spend. If you get a cheap backpack, you will not be happy because it
is not designed to fit your body and makes it difficult to wear for any length
of time. You can find Camp Trails brand at Uncle Sams and Dunns. This is a good
low end pack. If you are just looking for a day pack, then Walmart is your
place.

I would suggest going to REI and getting measured for a pack. This will
determine your size and what features you might be looking for.

I bought a Shasta (made by Gregory) on e-Bay and paid around 200.00 for it. It
is a nice large pack, fits me and is very confortable.

I would also suggest going to http://www.gearfinder.com/ss.asp?FAM=Packs to
help you decide what you need in a pack and what the best pack is for the $$$
you are going to spend.

As far as the earlier questions.

Camping on the trail is just a primative camp along the way. I never have fires
on the trail. I use a backpacker stove (Whisperlite International) for all my
cooking needs. I always follow LNT principles (Leave No Trace). I don't pitch a
tent unless the weather is going to get bad. Then, you don't want to be on the
trail. You can find more on planning and packing helpful hints at
www.backpacker.com. This site is a wealth of information to the beginner as
well as the professional.

I plan on doing a few trips this fall and winter. I am thinking about the Ozark
Highlands Trail for a December trip. Let me know when you are planning on doing
the Taum Sauk portion of OT. I might be able to join you.

Mike