[gameprogrammer] Re: subscript out of range?

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:36:43 -0600

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 05:56 -0800, Daniel Greeson wrote:
> Hey everyone I hope everyone is doing well.
>
>      I am having a problem I keep getting a subscript out of range error.  I
> just added a graphics portion to my source code and this error is popping up
> I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about this error.
> thanks in advance,
>
> ~Draven~

Which language are you using? We need to know that to give you specific
information. In general it means that your program is trying to access a
part of a vector or array that does not exist. For example, in C you
might have the declaration:

int iv[10];

Which gives you a vector of 10 integers. The valid subscripts for that
vector are from 0 to 9 inclusive. If I had an expression that included
iv[10] or iv[-1] I would have an out of range subscript error. Now, you
most likely aren't using C because C doesn't normally check for
subscript errors. But, you get the idea.

The most common reason for getting a subscript error is a loop that goes
past the end of a vector. For example:

int i;
int iv[10];

for (i = 0; i <= 10; i++) {
   printf("iv[%d] = %d\n", i, iv[i]);
}

Note that the test "i <= 10" will set to to values in the range 0 to 10
and 10 is an invalid subscript of the vector iv.

The error is most likely in your code. But, if you are passing out of
range values to a library function you could be triggering the error in
a library.

                Bob Pendleton