[gameprogrammer] Re: Randomly generated tile-based background

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:58:14 -0600

Hi.  I hope I'm not misinterpreting, but it doesn't seem that you'd need
much of an algorithm.  Really, you need to have tiles that CAN mesh
sides, and then you just (using one of the many random number generators
out there) select one of them to throw on.  If you want to have a few
options, then you just make a bunch of tiles (say, six categories --
left type A and B; top A and B; bottom A and B.  (this assumes the tiles
will be added on to the right side of the screen only, of course).  Now,
since you know which tiles are on the right-most edge when you need to
generate NEW ones, you simply generate new matching tiles from some
pre-defined lists of which images can tile to which others, based on
their properties.  I.E. the top-right-most tile need only match its left
type with the previous one's right type, whereas the next one down must
match both the left to its previous's right and its top to the first
one's bottom.

It sounds complex, and is probably slightly more than a little work to
do, but certainly not insurmountable.  FWIW, random scrolling sounds
like a fun idea!  Good idea, and good luck with it.  I hope my
explanation helps more than confuses. -- _I_ know what I'm thinking at
least ^_^.

--Scott