[gameprogrammer] Re: Current game projects...

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:03:00 -0600

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 13:55 +0000, Adrian Brown wrote:
> Im looking into the possibility of setting up an online games shop selling
> cheaper (probably around the 9.99 GBP) games for download + Hardcopy.

As for pricing, since you will be in an international business, I would
suggest using a somewhat cheaper and perhaps more widely used currency
such as the Japanese Yen or the US dollar. With the current exchange
rate 9.99 GBP is nearly twenty USD and might be a bit steep for US
customers, considering that it is between 1/3 and 1/2 of the price of a
major A level game. OTOH, a price of 9.99 USD or 999 JPY would be seen
as very accessible in most of the industrialized world.

Simply based on the total size of the potential markets you might want
to list prices in Yen, US dollars, and Euros. Those currencies cover
markets that reach about a billion people. And that is not counting the
regions of the Americas that are used to doing business in USD.

Of course, the way the USD has been shrinking you would not want to
convert to GBP ASAP :-(

> The
> idea would be these games would be very fun to play, simple puzzle games,
> little action games etc.  Im not talking about the complexity of GTA3 etc.

An honest service of the type you describe would be a great resource for
independent game developers. It is very hard to generate traffic to a
web site with only a couple of games. But, over time a web site with a
large number of games can get a lot of traffic and really help
developers (and make a lot of money for the site owner too :-)

Good luck with you project and please be sure to keep us posted on the
list. And I mean keep us posted. Post every time you add a new game.
Post sales figures (if you can). The more you remind us that there is a
market for independent games, the more such games will be developed.

BTW, you might want to look at the games listing on libsdl.org. There
are a lot of potentially commercial games listed there.

                Bob Pendleton