[gameprogrammer] Re: Carmack on Java phone games

  • From: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:07:30 -0600

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:40:53 +0200, Frank Henry <frank.henry@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now you can say what you want about java but it does its job and that
> quite well.

But point of fact it does not do its job. I quote from and agree with John:

  "Write-once-run-anywhere. Ha. Hahahahaha."

Is this not the whole point of Java? A safer C was a secondary goal I
think. The latter is nice, but what was really needed was the former.

Anyway, I think the real question is why did Java fail to meet its
design goals? Which is bad? The concept, the design, or the
implementation? Maybe it just needs more time to mature, but Java has
been around for what 8-10 years now?

Chris

--
Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>