[fruityloops] Re: Wah-Wah in FL

  • From: "Stuart Fryett" <Stuart.Fryett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:49:59 -0000

Hi there,
Right, not sure if I can do this coherently!  Basically, a wah wah filters
particular frequencies of an audio signal...
To manually simulate this, load a parametric eq into fruity's fx rack, and
pick the first band.
Set the band type to "peaking", ramp up the level to maximum - you should
see a hump appear on the left of the graph.
Now, to make this "narrow band", go to band width (sometimes referred to as
"Q") (the bottom knobs) and turn it clockwise until the hint bar says about
70&.  The hump should turn into a spike.
To "sweep" this "narrow band" boost (rather than a filter in my original
post, I was using the filter fx to achieve a similar result) across the
frequency spectrum, play with the band freq (the larger knob) and listen to
the effect it has.  It's not a "true" wah because they tend to cut the
frequencies that aren't being boosted.

Sorry, that seems a bit of a clumsy explanation but it will show you
graphically what a wah does (at least as I understand it).

As far as the link between the peak controller and the filter goes...
The peak controller (as we set it up) monitors the "loudness" of a channel.
All you're then doing is using this loudness to remote control (via the
"link to internal controller" dialog) the cutoff frequency on the filter,
i.e., the louder the channel, the higher the cutoff frequncy...  if you look
in the tutorial loops for "peak controller (basics)", you'll see it in
action there - I inadvertently stole this idea (I honestly didn't know it
was there until afterwards!) in making this solution!

The wah on amplitube is very good indeed!

Regards,
Stu