[frgeek-michiana] Winmodems and Debian + other stuff

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:37:07 -0500

Hello all,

*** 1 ***

I got a good scare last night.... Decided I wanted to get the on board Winmodem in the laptop working. I grabbed the scanmodem script from:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

I ran the script and it detected the modem just fine. I ran through the checks for what the compile script required and everything was fine except the version of bunutils. I decided that was ok and pressed on. I installed the kernel headers and source files for the 2.6.8-2.686 kernel I'm running and compiled the drivers. The I did the ./hdinst2 script, it worked fine too. I did the ./autoload and everything appeared normal.

An lsmod showed the lt_modem and lt_serial modules were not loaded as expected. I modprobed them and life was good. I installed minicom and configured it for the modem and it was there! Then it happened.

I had shutdown the laptop and took it to the server closet where I've got a phone line and booted it. Things at this point went horribly wrong! The kernel loaded and I got a command prompt and that was it! NOTHING module wise loaded. No sound, mouse, pcmcia nic, X11, touch pad, NOTHING! Worse yet I was unable to even modprobe modules into the system.

It took me a little to to reason out that the modules sub-system config obviously got blown away. Unfortunately, the documentation didn't make it clear that if you were using a Debian system to use the ./build-deb script. I had the impression you ran the main ./scanmodem script to completion and then the ./build-deb script.

So, lesson learned is, if you are going to use the Winmodem detection / compile install script on Debian, USE THE ./build-deb script! It does it all for you. You only step after it is to dpkg -i ltmodem-2.6.8-2-686_8.31a10_i386.deb

After doing that I rebooted the machine again and everything was restored back to normal. I added the lt_modem and lt_serial to /etc/modules so they load automatically and all works well. I was able to dial out to the internet under minicom. All that remains now is to setup pppd so I can dial out to the internet when need be.

*** 2 ***

Cable for Haynes 56k pcmcia modem.... Can you believe people want $30 for these things! I found one for $7.50... But since I got the Winmodem working, I obviously don't need the pcmcia modem now so it's coming back to the lab.

*** 3 ***

I'm trying to contact someone from Computers For All but not having success to date.

*** 4 ***

Tom, can you re email me the previous work done for the volunteer database? Since I now have the laptop fully configured I'm ready to start programming production on it.

*** 5 ***

I have a lead for a used wi-fi pcmcia card for the laptop. If it pans out I'll be learning wireless networking on Debian / Linux! Wow, it feels good to be learning again...

*** 6 ***

Any chance we (FGM) can buy a new battery for the laptop? Damn, it worked just fine last night and dies in 10 minutes this morning.... Argh....

  Thanks!

  Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>