[frgeek-michiana] Re: Linux drawing program (Kevin)

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:07:08 -0400

some other apps similar to MS Visio are Kivio, OpenOffice.org Draw, or XFig, Kivio is probably the closest to Visio, Kivio needs KDE libs. XFig is also pretty good and only needs X. oo;o Draw needs Open Office and to be honest I haven't used it.

For CAD there's always BRL-CAD designed by the US Army to do 3D modeling and simulation of military vehicles. The interface is a bit dated bud it is quite powerful, better than Autocad at some things, and you can run it on that old PDP 11/70 and tektronics graphics terminal gathering dust in the basement ;-) or you could use Linux on a 3 ghz desktop if you must. Sadly there isn't anything like a free software AutoCad or Solidworks. I've used Qcad community edition. It can export DXF files to AutoCad but not so well the other way. I'm not sure if the professional version (not open source or free) is any better.. Qcad community edition is a pretty good basic 2D CAD program.

By the way the fgmlug list should be up tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll make an announcement when it goes live.

Mike

chuq jackels wrote:
more great content for our lug list.. once it is a go! hehehe
qcad I hear is a good cad program for ubuntu and it is in the repo.. sudo apt-get install qcad qcad-data qcad-doc
and that will get  everything
qcad - professional CAD system
qcad-data - professional CAD system -- shared files
qcad-doc - professional CAD system -- documentation
hope that helps... but if what is really needed is AutoCad better Vbox with a M$ install and throw AutoDesk AutoCad

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    There are drawing, CAD and CAM programs. I'm not sure what kinds of
    libraries MS Visio offers so I'm not sure what your friend may
    need for
    Ubuntu or his class at school. If it is straight ahead drawing
    with symbol
    libraries, for network diagrams for instance, try Dia. Dia is
    Gnome ready.

    And I don't mean Defense Intelligence Agency.

    http://projects.gnome.org/dia/

    PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you
    wish for it to be in the public domain.

    To post to the list send email to frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
    The archive is available at
    //www.freelists.org/archives/frgeek-michiana/

    You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the
    list website at //www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana