[Fundraisers Forum] Fundraising for percentage

  • From: shoshanna jaskoll <shoshanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 09:36:14 +0300

In regards to this issue, there are so many things that need to change. I
wish I had all of the answers but after working with many amutot in various
fields and surely as you are all well well aware- the issues are the same
across the board. Some manage better and some worse.

There needs to be a severe shift in the way nonprofits are seen and how
they are run.

Its easy to scream that this is unethical. I even got on that band wagon
myself for a time. But I do not believe it is unethical. It may not be a
great model, but sometimes it is what the org and 'fundraiser' are good
with. If the cause is a good one, if all of the parties are honest and
above board about it, then I do not see it as a problem in the short term
and until our field can get the overhaul it deserves.

A cousin of mine in US told me he and his friends are well aware that the
fundraiser gets a cut of what he gives at parlor meetings etc. and why not?
S/he is working hard for it. If the donor is made to understand the
necessity of a fundraiser - say like a Marketing or PR budget in a biz- and
all of those expenses are wrapped into the cost of the product- so why the
HELL are NPOS given such a hard time for covering costs??

Now, if the org can in fact pay a proper salary, then they are the ones who
need educating to understand that a resource dev isnt a schnoor but rather
one who helps the org grow and be sustainable and that goes beyond money to
brand, message, media for messages etc.

Hope this made sense- coffee still uploading

--

*Shoshanna K Jaskoll
*