[freeroleplay] Re: Licensing

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:40:29 +0000

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> Quoth http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/legalcode: "You may
> not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally
> perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or
> use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License
> Agreement."

That is very interesting, I didn't know that. Of course, this isn't as
good as the Transparent copy definition in the FDL. But, it does put the
CC licenses in higher standing. In many ways this is probably better
than the GPL. I'd be interested to know if some of the CC licenses are
GPL-compatible. Perhaps it would be worth finding out more information.

>>the public domain is even worse. Not only could someone republish in a
>>closed, read-only format, but thet could also claim copyright over your
>>public domain material. This is why copyleft is so important to us.
>
> They cannot claim copyright to your public domain material. That would
> be plagiarism, which is illegal. They can, however, creative a derivative
> work off your public domain material and claim copyright over that.

Ah, I stand corrected. Of course, this won't stop someone from simply
making a minor modification and then copyrighting and profiting from work.

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community