[freeroleplay] Re: Licensing

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:57:00 +0000

Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
>> Thanks for your input. I think I agree with you, but it would be
>> interesting to know the thinking behind your decision.
>
>         Ok.  I don't like the "Modify" option because you loose the advantage
> of a well-recognised license.  For example, when I see "GPL" on code, I have
> fair idea of what that entails, even though I have never actually read the
> full GPL.  Likewise with LGPL and BSD, and somewhat less so for Mozilla, MIT,
> and a few others.  Something that's modified, though, could say anything, and
> "I can't be bothered reading it, but will look elsewhere" :).

I think you misunderstand, we will still be using the name "GPL" or
"FDL" but we will be adding further restrictions to the GPL or FDL to
make the definition of "source code" more "transparent" in the GPL, or
prevent people from using "Invariant Sections" in the FDL.

> I'm not sure which I want :).

Neither are we :) I think I'm tending toward using endorsing the GPL as
our official license, mainly because we will need to dual-license under
the GPL anyway to allow people to write RPG-based software using our
material, and because it is the most tried-and-tested license. It is
roughly applicable to written content, and it doesn't have any nasty
"Invariant Sections", other than the license itself.

>         Remind me -- why can't we license it under the FDL with a disclaimer
> that we don't allow Invariant sections?

The main problem with the above is that it means we can't use other FDL
material in our own content. IANAL, but I think you can add further
conditions to the FDL as long as they do not contradict the FDL.
However, doing so means that we cannot include others FDL material in
our work, as the FDL clearly states that additional restrictions cannot
be added "downstream" when merging of modifying. Besides, this does not
fix some of the many bugs with the FDL.

Regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell