[freeroleplay] Re: Licensing

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:31:53 +0000

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 13:43, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:

> In the interests of furthering the discussion I would be interested to
> understand you reasons for preferring to remain with the FDL given the
> issues raised here and elsewhere.

The transparent format clause.

> Would you give your permission to have
> YAGS licensed under the GPL as well so that it could be used in a
> software program?

Probably, yes. Presumably however, FDL documents can be distributed
with GPL software, you just can't combine them into the same file.
If this is the case, then since all of Yags is in XML format, which
is easily machine readable, any GPL'd software can reference the FDL
content and use it how it pleases.

If I can load my FDL'd documents into a GPL'd text editor, it should
be possible for someone else to load my FDL'd documents into a GPL'd
(or commercially licensed) computer game.

> > Even if different licenses can't be combined, the license only
> > applies to the copyright, which protects the text, not the ideas.
>
> Whilst the above is technically true and is the interpretation we
> prefer, in practice it may not always hold.
>
> > If I wasn't going to use the FDL, then I'd use something akin to
> > the BSD license, because it is short and simple.
>
> I have to admit, if you like the BSD license because its short and
> simple why would you prefer to use the FDL, which has to be one of the
> most complicated and convoluted copyleft licenses around. :)

Because of the transparent format clause. I'm single minded, aren't I? :-)

If the next version of the GPL had a clause that 'source code' had
to be made available in a transparent format, or possibly even that
GPL'd documentation had to be in a transparent format, would that
fix things, and allow everyone to happily use the GPL for all
documentation? It would seem easier than having two different
licenses.

--
Be seeing you,                          web: http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/
Sam.                                    jabber: samuel.penn@xxxxxxxxxx