[freeroleplay] GPL 3 and all that

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:10:09 +0100

I don't know if people have seen the Slashdot article, if not:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/08/2148207&tid=98&tid=106

However accurate the article is, I know that the FSF have been
talking about making those who provide a 'service' based on GPL'd
software distribute the source, so it's likely that something like
this will be present in GPL3.

So, if someone makes a MMORPG based on the FRINGE ruleset but
kept all of FRINGE related code on their server and never
distributed it, then they'd still have to make the source public
since they were providing a service based on GPL'd content[1].

What are people's thoughts about this? Does the FRPGC state
GPL version 2, or GPL any version?

Personally, I disagree with this sort of change, and I've made
sure that my code states GPL 2 specifically, just in case.

As an aside, sort of related to this, I'm thinking (again) of
changing the Yags license from GFDL. At the very least, it will
be dual licensed with GPL 2 to ensure wide compatibility.

[1] Ignoring the issue of whether the conversion from FRINGE rules
    to code implementing it needs to keep the GPL. If you don't
    believe so, consider instead GPL'd utilities based on FRINGE
    that are then incorporated into a MMORPG server.

--
Be seeing you,                             http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                                    jabber: samuel.penn@xxxxxxxxxx