[freelists-users] Re: passwords [Freelists News] Misc. updates

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:52:45 -0500

> I would say that archive protection should be very
> restricted, and offered only in specific cases.

The point is that nothing which ever traverses a FreeLists mailing list
should be anything less than public domain.  The service is not provided
to keep information public, but to put it on the internet for all to
benefit from.

> | For instance, I have an admin list which is tied into a
> | magazine-type list. Discussions go on there that, if they
> | were to be made public, would "spoil the surprise" in the
> | magazine.

This is the sort of list that shouldn't be hosted at FreeLists, as it
serves no benefit to the community.

> If in the unfortunate circumstance that password protection
> is removed, I hope those of us with currently protected
> archives will be given the option to NOT have current
> archives made public.

If the feature is removed, existing archives won't be affected, but the
ability to add a new password will be.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx