[freelists-users] Re: passwords [Freelists News] Misc. updates

  • From: Bob Drzyzgula <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 20:10:44 -0400

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:52:45PM -0500, John Madden wrote:

> > I would say that archive protection should be very
> > restricted, and offered only in specific cases.
>
> The point is that nothing which ever traverses a FreeLists mailing list
> should be anything less than public domain.  The service is not provided
> to keep information public, but to put it on the internet for all to
> benefit from.

IMHO & FWIW, this sounds like a marketing opportunity. :-) Perhaps you
could offer private, or otherwise non-conforming mailing lists for a
fee, in the same vein as MailandFiles.com? I can think of at least
two people who would have been interested in this kind of service
for things like old-college-roomates lists and school parents
lists...

> > | For instance, I have an admin list which is tied into a
> > | magazine-type list. Discussions go on there that, if they
> > | were to be made public, would "spoil the surprise" in the
> > | magazine.
>
> This is the sort of list that shouldn't be hosted at FreeLists, as it
> serves no benefit to the community.

I think that this is a reasonable place to draw a line.
This is the kind of thing that personal mail aliases are for...

--Bob