[freelists-users] Re: How do I bulk load or change the subscriber list?

  • From: "Sidney Markowitz" <sidney@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:48:54 -0800

"John Madden" <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> We discourage (or rather, don't tell the general public about)
> use of the email subsystem because it's more complicated than
> the web-based interface.

I can understand not promoting it, but I would suggest doing something
to ease the job of someone moving a large mailing list to FreeLists.
That could be providing instructions in the introductory package on
the email subsystem commands just to add a bunch of subscribers and
their names, or extending the web interface to accept email addresses
in a format that includes names and have it do a setname as well as a
subscribe, or extend the web interface to allow one to upload a file
in that format rather than just copy and paste into a form. It is nice
of you to let people email you a list of names for you to subscribe
with your scropt, but I don't see how it is any easier for the list
admin than emailing to the email subsystem, and it is more work for
you that won't scale as you get more lists.

Your hint about turning on the no-administrivia subscribe option
should also be in the introductory material as something a list owner
might want to do while first moving a large existing subscriber base
to the new list, then turn back off after the initial bulk load.

 -- sidney