Re: [foxboro] Why is I/A on Windows and not on Unix anymore?

  • From: David Johnson <drjohn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:05:33 -0500

Dear Marcel,

Yeah, I know.
I've given up and accepted that the windows=20
platform is the future and this is how it is.

Of course there should be a trail of dead=20
engineers leading to the purchasing dept. door,=20
but that's another story.   Just once I wish=20
there was a conversation like this.

Engineer: "You know, I use Quicken at home, and a=20
lot of people know it, it does accounting stuff=20
right?  You guys have to use Quicken for everything from now on."
Purchasing:"That would never work, we run a large=20
multinational corporation.  Everything has to=20
work together.  Quicken could never do everything we need."
Engineer:"Well the Quicken salesman said they=20
were working on an enterprise edition, it's going=20
to be in Beta in a couple of months, so it will be OK."
Purchasing:"It will never work!  We'd have to=20
more than double the staff, learn something new,=20
use it in ways it was never intended to be used,=20
and it still won't do what we need."
Engineer:"Look, it's a de-facto standard, we're=20
not adding staff, we're cutting yours by 10%.  We=20
can't keep making record profits if you guys=20
aren't team players. This stuff is supposed to be=20
easier to use, so quit whining and get to it."
Purchasing:"We won't do it, we'll quit."
Engineer:"Yeah(in the Lumberg voice). I already=20
talked to the CEO, and he mentioned outsourcing your whole department.
Purchasing:"OK"

But we know that'll never happen.

Regards,
David