Re: [foxboro] Why is I/A on Windows and not on Unix anymore?

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:03:01 -0500

I probably shouldn't comment on this, as I spent 2 hours  yesterday trying
to remotely repair a friend's Windows laptop over the Internet...

If their tech types wrote the spec, they have probably never used Unix. Or
they are just command-line averse (some people really are, amazingly, even
some smart ones I've met).

If their management types wrote it, well, then no further explanation is
needed.  Microsoft's crack house^H^H^H^H^H marketing machine is cooking
what they like to eat.

All that said, I think I'd be hiring Andreas to write my spec and focusing
on interfaces and data formats rather than the OS itself.  Good
integration with the OS, and common sense in the use of its features, is
also important - though I don't know how you put that in a spec.

I've seen good software and bad software on both Unix and Windows. Windows
is less stable, and more prone to problems as the number of keypresses and
mouse moves increases than Unixes I've used, but if it is  kept  out of
the controllers and other critical areas of the system, and you have high
duplication (e.g., consoles) where it would be used, it's not a huge
issue.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation

"Sieling, Marcel" <Marcel.Sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/04/2007 11:11 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro] Why is I/A on Windows and not on Unix anymore?

Hi list,
Here's an extract from a document that forms a general
requirement to all DCS vendors for one of our customers:

>Configuring (programming) the PCS for control loops,
>cntrol strategies, controller tuning, mathematical functions,
>table formats, trend displays, graphic displays, reports
>or any other standard function shall be possible using a
>standard Microsoft Windows PC and Microsoft file formats.

I'll not disclose the name of the customer here, but it's
symptomatic for the market. That's why Unix is not the
preferred OS anymore for our products. And the tech
people "have to eat the soup" (german saying) resulting
out of this.

Best regards -

Marcel Sieling
Senior Application Consultant

Invensys Systems GmbH
Emanuel-Leutze-Str. 11
40547 Duesseldorf
Germany
T: +49-211-5966-302
F: +49-163-99-5966302
M: +49-163-5966302
Skype:  marcel.sieling
mailto:marcel.sieling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.foxboro-deutschland.de

Geschäftsführer: Harald Konermann, Hartmut Wallraf  -  Amtsgericht
Düsseldorf  -  HRB 32762

Confidentiality Notice:
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachment(s)
to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) and
may contain confidential, privileged or proprietary information. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately,
delete all copies of this message and any attachment(s). Any other use of
the E-Mail by you is prohibited.