Re: [foxboro] Recommended practices for assigning Alarm Priorities

  • From: Sascha Wildner <swildner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:00:23 +0100

Mark Dumond wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> Does anybody have any good ideas or even "successful" recommended practices
> for assigning Alarm Priorities in I/A, that can be categorized?
>
> As a simple example,
>
> 1= Emergency Situations
> 2= Alarms that cause Shutdown
> 3= Alarms, such as motor and valve mismatch
> 4= General Messages
> 5= Other
>
> Or is it just better to make a priority assignment on an individual alarm
> basis?

Mark,

most projects I've worked for in the past use 1 for IOBAD and
emergency/shutdown situations, 2 for all other alarms and 5 for general
stuff like messages etc.

It's been a long time since I've seen all 5 priorities in use at the
same time. My experience is that a too elaborate alarm scheme only tends
to confuse the operators (well, at least there are always some that get
confused :).

All the best,

--
Sascha Wildner