Re: [foxboro] Recommended practices for assigning Alarm Priorities

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:11:22 -0600

I'm interested in this too, as I see it becoming an issue (read, assigned
to me to make better :) in the near future.  Personal philosophy here
(based more on gut feel than anything) is:

Pri 5:
Historian/logging/emailing only

Pri 4:
Not used

Pri 3:
"Run-of-the-mill" alarms

Pri 2:
More critical alarms, including those that interlock or shut down
equipment

Pri 1:
Most critical alarms, shutdowns of major parts of the plant, some signals
relayed from the SIS, things that also go to a SCAM

Each level has its own sound (we use the annunciator keyboard
synthesizers).  IOBAD is given the same priority as the highest priority
of the other alarms.

Also, I'm interested in what works best in AM configuration: sorting by
time or priority, filtering, noises, etc.

I guess I'll try to obtain the EEMUA document.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp

"Mark Dumond" <mdumond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/15/2006 10:42 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Recommended practices for assigning Alarm Priorities

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your reply and offer to help.

Any information that you have on how you have tackled your alarm priority
scheme is greatly appreciated!

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks again,
Mark Dumond