Re: [foxboro] Obsolescence and unavailability of 6 X 8 annunciator keypads

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:19:42 -0500

All valid arguments, in addition to mine that I'd like to investigate the
use of thin clients for consoles (we have had too many problems with
various extenders lately to make me trust in them for future
higher-resolution displays), and that operators often need full
alphanumeric capabilities (for Select, primarily) so we have both
keyboards anyway, on limited desktop space in the console.

I'd like to be rid of the membrane keyboards going forward as well, but
the operators really like them, and certainly we will have to put some
time into the graphics to improve navigation and access to critical
displays.  What did you guys do to ease that transition?

No touch screens here.  The operators greatly preferred using trackballs
or mice to leaning forward and touching the screen :)

Corey

From:
tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx
To:
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
03/16/2011 09:43 AM
Re: [foxboro] Obsolescence and unavailability of 6 X 8 annunciator keypads
Sent by:
foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We quit using them for a host of reasons:
Cost of Ann keybds and GCIO to support them.
Long term reliability and support.
Tied the effective operation of the process to that specific
location/workstation.  If control room needed to evacuate and operate from
different location the operator needs to have same functionality
elsewhere.
When we combined operator responsibilities we couldn't easily combine the
Ann kybds.
They went the same way as the old CRT touchscreens.  Is anyone out there
still using those?  Just curious.

Tom