Re: [foxboro] ICCAPI Upload Error

  • From: Terry Doucet <doucet427@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:50:34 -0400

In the CP, regardless of type, the process that goes along with the upload
command in the CP's host is very low priority. Rightly so; we want the CP
controlling the process first then sending non time critical data thereafter.
If the CP is very busy, it will not send data every BPC and could be
unavailable to respond with data for many seconds.  The host that requested the
upload has a watchdog timer that will eventually time out and abort. Remember
that the CP's real time operating system is priority based.
My first step would be the same as Jack's that is try it manually from ICC or
whatever tool you normally use to build blocks.
If it still fails then I would look at the loading on the STATION display and
check for overruns block processing and Object Manager. If you get zero of
these during the upload request then you know that it is not a CP loading issue
however, if you get any values here, I would suspect loading. You also need to
remember that sequence blocks present a non-periodic load on your CP, so they
could affect your results.  If not CP loading, then you have to check
communication loading and the host loading.
It is normal to take many minutes to perform an upload, possibly more than an
hour.  The issue has been discussed many times on this website but the
resolution of the problem is complex and very low priority. It would seem to me
that a checkpoint file, that is sent to the host very quickly in the CP270,
contains all the required information and could be queried on the host
processor to extract the same data that the upload function provides and it is
likely that the fast hosts that we have today could perform this same function
in seconds as opposed to an hour or so (for the existing upload command).  The
CP would not have to provide any data other than the checkpoint file. All the
data processing would be done on the host. I'm not saying that this would be an
easy task, rather just that it is possible.
Terry