Re: [foxboro] I need a System Monitor Messages Decoder Ring

  • From: Terry Doucet <doucet427@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:10:44 -0400

David,

I like your humourous comment about a book for System Monitor messages. There
was one about 1985 to 1990 but FBM224 was released well after those dates.

It is highly likely (but who can trust such a statement) that the Modbus device
is the source of the Exception code  01  01

Modbus has the following 01 Exception Code

Code                Name
01                    Illegal Function

Meaning
The function code received in the query is not an allowable action for the
server (or slave). This may
be because the function code is only applicable to newer devices and was not
implemented in the unit
selected. It could also indicate that the server (or slave) is in the wrong
state to process a request of
this type for example because it is unconfigured and is being asked to return
register values.
(Ref. Modbus Application Protocol 2006)

Regards,

Terry