Re: [foxboro] Historical Alarms

  • From: "Lowell, Timothy" <Timothy.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:30:02 -0600

Francisco,

You have four options to get the rest of the alarms out of AIM*:

1. Use histspy. This utility is in d:/opt/aim/bin. It is very non-intuitive and
hard to use, and the output is difficult to read, but if you can figure out how
it works, it will generate alarm data. I believe there is a tutorial on the
Invensys site or the Cassandra site somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

2. Write some Excel VBA code. AIM* comes with one ODBC license. You need to
configure that, and then on some off-platform PC that is connected to your I/A
system by the third/fourth Ethernet port, you need to configure an ODBC
connection. Excel Visual Basic for Applications has built-in ODBC calls that
can be programmed to retrieve data from the AIM*Historian. I have done this,
but not recently, and I don't have access to the code. There is some sample
code in the Appendices of the AIM*Historian Administrators Guide, I believe.

3. Buy some more software. Invensys sells some data extraction products for
AIM*. PAS in Houston, Matrikon (now part of Honeywell), TiPS, Inc, LimeWare
from Brazil and many other third party vendors will sell you software to manage
your alarms. Most of these will require you to purchase an AIM*OPC server
license from Invensys (or a third party OPC server) with the appropriate server
hardware as well the vendor's software and appropriate server hardware to run
that. Obviously, this option is for when you have a plant or company alarm
management philosophy in place and you have enough funding to implement it
correctly.

4. Contact some of the folks on this list who have built their own alarm
management solutions. I've seen several on here that run small applications to
send their alarms to various open-source SQL databases. You can search the
archives at //www.freelists.org/archive/foxboro.

We've been complaining to Invensys forever about the inability to extract data
from AIM*. Invensys has chosen to discontinue development of AIM* and focus on
Wonderware InSQL as the historian of the future, but from what I've heard,
InSQL does not historize alarm data from the Foxboro I/A system either. For
that, you still need AIM* (or a third-party).

Thanks,
Tim