Re: [foxboro] Hart FBM's

  • From: jrmcleish63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:39:21 +1000

We have about 50 installed for about 3 years now with no failures. We don't use
any with HART yet only 4-20 but have choose to install them just in case there
is a future need. 15-20 years is a long time to wait if you need to try and
pull some info into a asset management tool. The Instro's are also keen to
start using some of the smarts on some of the newer instruments, valve
sticktion etc.

I've seen a few comments regarding the TA failures, I curious if this is only
when used with HART! we haven't seen any on current.

The newer versions 8.4.x do have the alarming functions but beware the output
is a packed Boolean so HAI, LAI etc don't exist so if your upgrading your
graphics will need modified. We opted to just go with a RIN-AIN, AOUT-ROUT
combination rather than change our graphics, maybe one day when we have time we
might go though and start cleaning out the AIN/AOUTs.

The 214 is group isolated but there is a new 214b which channel isolated so it
looks like a good competitor to the 204.

There also used to be a problem with channels freezing (flat lining) but I
haven't heard of anything for a long time and haven't seen it here on site.

On the whole I've been happy with them but have thought about having a mixture
of 204 and 214 mainly because the 204's qualify for advantage upgrade programs
where the 214/215s don't,  and I very much doubt we will ever go completely
HART.

Regards,
Rob McLeish.
Lihir Gold.